On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 13:49:53 -0700, Andi Gutmans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> At 10:13 AM 10/22/2004 +0100, Wez Furlong wrote:
> >I'd like to get LFS support into 5.1; it kinda needs int64 support.  I
> >would be happy with a ZVAL_INT64() macro that assigns an int64 type to
> >a zval; for now it would represent the value as a long if it is <
> >LONG_MAX, but as a string otherwise.  This would solve the problem of
> >returning a meaningful value to the script.  We could also add an "L"
> >placeholder to zend_parse_parameters() that would handle the reverse
> >of this.  I know this isn't a brilliant solution, but it is equivalent
> >to what other int64 extensions are doing, and it would be good to have
> >this centralized.
>
> Yeah that sounds like something which might work or use a float?

I'm not sure if float will be precise enough :-/

> I saw someone mentioned the performance of serialization.

That was me.

> Maybe we should have a competition similar to the longlong2str that MySQL
> had a few years ago :)
> Who writes the fastest and best written serialization/unserialization
> routines for zval's.

The specific case I had was serializing an array containing a whole
bunch of arrays representing the data from tables in a database.  I
don't recall how many rows there were, but the serialized data was
around 5 MB.  This was on windows, and feels like realloc doing
over-time, so a fix could be something as simple as tweaking the
smart_str chunking code; start with a fair initial size and perhaps
having it double the size on each realloc.

Of course, a competition for the fastest serializer would be nice too :)

--Wez.