> I've committed the core changes to add --with-libdir and updated most
of
> the extensions which I could test here.
>
> Hans, can you test out HEAD on your SLES box?  You should just use
> --with-libdir=lib64 and then e.g. --with-mysql=/usr will correctly
pick
> up the system MySQL libraries in /usr/lib64.  *Don't* pass /usr/lib64
> directly in any --with-foo= parameters, that won't work.  Let me know
if
> there are any remaining problems.

Things look to work in the latest CVS checkouts (2004-12-12) of both
php4 and php5.  I've typically been using this ./configure for testing:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/php
--with-apxs=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs --with-openssl --with-zlib
--with-bz2

A quick recap:

-- released PHP versions (4.3.9 and 5.0.2) can't locate any libs not in
/lib or /usr/lib.  For 64bit systems, which put 64bit versions of
libraries in /lib64 and /usr/lib64, ./configure or compile breaks.

-- the latest RCs of both 4.3.10 and 5.0.3 work properly, and will
always use libs in /lib64 or /usr/lib64, and ./configure and compile
work correctly.

> To everyone else, the changes should make no difference if
--with-libdir
> isn't used but please shout at me if I broke something...

One caveat, however, is that --with-libdir doesn't seem to have any
effect.  In both 4 and 5 CVS versions, supplying --with-libdir=lib64,
--with-libdir=lib, or not specifying it all, have no effect.  lib64
libraries are always used.

While an academic problem (ie, why would I want to specify lib on a
lib64 system), there doesn't seem to be any way to force the 32 bit libs
on a 64bit system.  Even if both 32bit and 64bit versions of a library
exist on the system, the 64bit libs will always be used.

A strange, unrelated problem.  After a successful make, a make install
fails for both 4 and 5 from CVS.  The error:

cp libs/libphp4.so /usr/local/apache/libexec/libphp4.so
cp: cannot stat `libs/libphp4.so': No such file or directory

When I look at libs, the only file is libphp4.  A rename of libphp4 to
libphp4.so and then make install works.  For PHP 5, this is of course
libphp5.  Any insight into this would be appreciated.

Thanks Joe and everyone - this seems to get things working for both 4
and 5.  I'm going to continue testing, and then document all of this for
future generations, and will keep you in the loop if something else
looks wrong.

---
Hans Zaunere
President, Founder