On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, Lester Caine wrote:
> The Apache2 debate is more interesting. I am just running up a nice new
> AMD64, with SUSE9.1 (no 9.2 disk handy), and the first thing I find -
> and which does not bother me at all - ONLY Apache2 in the distribution.
> I KNOW all the reasons for feet dragging, and I am doing it myself over
> VCL/Win32 and Microsoft's latest 'standards', but at some point we will
> all have to give in an move on. Is now not the time at least to start
> treating Apache2 as a current version, and start looking into the problems?

What problems?  Threading will never be fixed in the large hundreds of
3rd-party library sense.  So there is nothing to fix there.  The only
question is whether we start recommending Apache2-prefork over Apache1.
As far as I am concerned we start doing that when a majority of main PHP
developers switch to Apache2-prefork.  Personally I am completely
unmotivated to make that change because I have a boatload of other modules
written against the Apache1 API that I would need to port to Apache2 and
there just isn't a killer feature in Apache2 that warrants doing all that
work for me at this point and Apache1 works fine.  There isn't that much
for a web server to do.  We just need a simple working server.

If I am in the minority I don't mind suggesting people use Apache2, but we
need a bunch of PHP developers to stand up and say they are using
Apache2-prefork in large production systems.  It has never been a matter
of not liking Apache2 or having some irrational bias against it, it is
purely a matter of what we use and what we know.  If someone reports a
problem with PHP running under Apache1 we know how to fix that.  For other
servers, including Apache2, the pool of people familiar enough with it to
provide decent support is much smaller.  The documentation should probably
be changed to better reflect that and make it sound less negative towards
Apache2.

My personal view is that the bucket brigade API in Apache2 is
unneccesarily complex and quirky and we mostly have to defeat it anyway
with PHP so it doesn't add anything for us.  It just gets in the way.
There are a few exceptions to that, but not enough for me to be worth the
complexity and the overhead.

-Rasmus