Andi Gutmans wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I just heard from Wez that PDO is in very advanced stages now (ready for
> beta). I would like to start the PHP 5.1 release process. Due to the lack
> of testing both the new engine VM and PDO have received I would like to
> start with a beta process so that we get feedback.
>
> I know there are still some fixes that need to be applied both in the
> engine and in extensions so I would like to release a beta on March 1st (a
> month from today).
> Derick also mentioned that his new very much needed Date
> extension will be ready by that date.
>
> I believe both PDO and Date should be included in the default distro. As
> far as PDO is concerned I think for each DB if it is selected at configure
> time, the relevant PDO extension should also be enabled. So doing
> --with-oci8 should enable both ext/oci8 and ext/pdo_oci. This will give
> users more of a choice, give more exposure to PDO which is one of the most
> important features of 5.1 and of course, it doesn't really cost us very
> much except for having to do some configure hacking.
>
> Comments/Flames/Praises to this list :)
>
> Andi

Seems every time I get ready to finally commit the new browscap stuff that
I've been sitting on for 5.1 since forever, something always comes up and
it gets on the backburner.

Since I've been out of the loop for so long (still passively reading the
lists, but I haven't had much time to actively participate in much of
anything of late) perhaps someone else should commit this stuff. There are
a few added files and a patch and that's pretty much it. I've tested
against a copy of HEAD I just checked out on linux and Win2k with VS6, and
it seems to work okay, although I haven't tried any of the Visual Studio
workspaces or anything, so they may assplode, I don't know.

The patch is at http://bugs.tutorbuddy.com/download/browscap.patch.tar.gz .
It's not exactly new VM exciting or PDO exciting (which, if you're reading
this Wez, looks quite nice), but browser detection is something I think PHP
should do well. It is primarily a web scripting language, after all.