I was talking with George about this at lunch today.  If we really
really do require the new version, then we should add a configure
check to enforce it, otherwise we should use appropriate #ifdefs.

Why?

Everytime we go to upgrade PHP, we find that we need to upgrade
libxml2 as well.  While it's fine for PHP to use that, what about
other packages that also require libxml2?   The paranoid sysadmin
inside us feels reluctant/worried at that prospect.

We (PHP) have had a similar issue with libcurl requirements in the
past too, to the point where I just stopped enabling it (things were
worse there though, as the download from sf.net was really
unpredictable and made it very difficult to get hold of the latest and
greatest).

So, my 2 cents are: if it's too much trouble to maintain those ifdefs,
bump the minimum requirements, otherwise, let's try to keep it
flexible.

--Wez.