On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, Zeev Suraski wrote:

At 23:32 15/02/2005, Andi Gutmans wrote:
I still think we should reconsider bundling libxml2 and solve this issue. XML is a center piece of PHP 5 and will be more and more used by extensions as well as developers. I think the benefit far outweighs the downside of bundling.
I know some disagree because of size but I don't see this as an issue. I think giving PHP users a better experience is very beneficial.

Andi beat me to it, but I very much think in the same way. If we kept a .tar.gz in CVS of the 'blessed' libxml2 version, that would become a part of the release tarball during makedist, it would have solved this dependency issue once and for all, and ensure that a given version of PHP behaves in the same way (at least as far XML is concerned) everywhere.

Can you explain this a bit more? Like what kind of 'part' will it become? Is it just copied there in some directory? How is it configured for compile? etc.

    --Jani