> If there is any merit to E_STRICT as it stands currently I find it to
> be negated by the fact that it throws messages for completely
> acceptable code that the engine is both willing and capable of
> handling. If var is not acceptable, I think it should be removed as a
> keyword. If it is acceptable, the engine shouldn't complain about it.
> (of course, I think it is acceptable.)

Answer: No, it's not acceptable.  But expecting everyone out there using PHP
to update their code (which they probably didn't write themselves anyway) is
even more unacceptable.  Solution: Throw no warnings in the default error
reporting level, but provide a hook for script developers to find the code
that needs changing.

If anything, E_STRICT needs expanding.  For example, zend_function_entry
should have a flag to indicate deprecation.  When a deprecated method is
called: zend_error(E_STRICT, "Call to deprecated function %s()", fname);

-Sara