On Aug 9, 2005, at 3:12 PM, steve roussey wrote:

On 8/8/05, Rasmus Lerdorf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

3. Problems with thread-safety of modules

You missed the most serious one.  Thread safety problems in random
libraries you link in and we have absolutely no control over those.

OK, I am confused. I always thought (an assumption with nothing to
back it up, now that I think about it) that the core part of PHP was
thread safe and that it was the third party libraries included from
_extensions_ that were at issue.

So if I used mysqli then it was at the mercy of the mysql library. So
if the mysqli maintainer knew that that library was safe and their
extension was safe then they could mark it as safe. All others would
go through a single mutex, etc...

But if PHP core uses a library and has no idea if it is safe or not
(like glibc, though would run under such a system?) then I get your
point. I hadn't considered it before. I suppose that is why MySQL
statically links in such things that it knows works, not leaving
anything to chance.

This can affect you even if you're not statically linked. Dynamically loaded libraries run in your address space and have the same ability to mess you up as statically linked libraries. Otherwise your understanding is spot-on.

Here there be dragons.

George