On Fri, 12 Aug 2005, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

1. Remove register_globals completely

    +1 (then we can cleanup the mess in ext/session too :)

2. Remove magic_quotes_*

    +1 (definately, finally, at last! The filter stuff obsoletes those anyway?)

3. Add input filter extension which will include a mechanism for
  application developers to very easily turn it off which would swap
  the raw GPC arrays back in case the site had it turned on by default.

    +1 (to be able to do 2. for real, of course)

4. Include an opcode cache by default.  A lot of work has gone into
  pecl/apc recently, but I am not hung up on which one goes in.

    +100 (it's ridiculous to have to install it separately)

5. Remove safe_mode and focus on open_basedir

    +1

6. Remove some stuff that has been marked deprecated since PHP 3/4

    Something like 'allow_call_time_pass_reference' or whatever it was again?

A couple of others that we could consider, but I don't actually think
wins us much apart from academic purity (which I have never been all
that keen on) are:

7. Make identifiers case-sensitive

    Such as function names? :) That'd be kinda nice since it not only
    makes the language more consistent but also tad faster, especially
    now with the unicode stuff slowing that down even more..

8. Remove various function aliases

    I was toying with an idea about a configure switch and/or ini option.
    But I guess some of those just should go away.

    The other wild idea I got while thinking about this was to add
    opposite option for 'disable_functions', 'enable_functions', which
    would only enable the functions I _really_ use :)

    --Jani