At 09:18 23/08/2005, Michael Walter wrote:
On 8/22/05, Stanislav Malyshev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> MB>>There were some others already asking for this, maybe we should at least
> MB>>give it a thought if it is doable at all, anybody?
>
> Just out of curiosity, what's bad in create_function and how "real" ones
> should be different?

"Real" anonymous functions (as in, closures) should be able to capture
variables from its lexical environment, e.g.:

create_function() accepts a string, and that string is constructed with full access to the lexical scope of the creating function, so I'm not exactly sure how it's different. My ML/LISP memory fails me.

  function adder($a) {return function($b) {return $a+$b;}}
  function index($i) {return function($a) {return $a[$i];}}

I'm sure you can think of useful examples.

Since when do we consider moving towards LISP a good thing? :)

For those odd ends where you really need that, create_function() can do the job for you just as well (before anybody complains that it's cumbersome - GOOD, it's supposed to be, you're not supposed to be creating functions on the fly unless you absolutely have to).

Zeev