On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 09:12:51 +0200 (CEST)
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Derick Rethans) wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Aug 2005, Sonke Ruempler wrote:
>
> > Hi Zeev,
> >
> > Zeev Suraski <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on Thursday, August
> > 25, 2005 7:37 PM:

> > > It appears to be due to a genuine fix for bug #31525.  More
> > > of the same 'Only variables can be * by reference' that we're
> > > used to.
> >
> > Uhm, if it were a E_NOTICE - no problem. But this breaks PHP
> > 5.0.x and therefore many existing appliations (I assume
> > mediawiki is one of the most popular and famous of PHP
> > applications). If this new 'fatal error' behaviour gets into
> > PHP 5.0.5, you'll have to warn the users that their
> > applications could break, because something like nested array
> > function calls is IMHO very common.
>
> It's just PHP prevent your memory from getting corrupted. If you
> prefer that to happen, patch PHP yourself for your local
> installation.

Well, enough of this argument. This is a real problem. Having a
fatal error instead of a) nothing or b) a notice is a BC break.
Moving from nothing to a notice is acceptable, but having fatal
erros is not.

Btw, asking one to maintain a patched php to keep BC is insane.

Is there any tests about this memory corruption problem?

--Pierre