Ron Korving wrote:
> That would be nice. If all memory, even the stuff allocated by functions,
> is freed at the end of the request, I can see where the problem is. It
> would be very useful if this memory really would be freed at the moment
> all references to it disappear. This would be a lot better for the CLI
> environment, but also for a web environment, if you ask me, because the
> memory required for handling pages might just be reduced by a big
> percentage. I guess the question is: would this be a big performance hit
> in processing time? (and I fear the answer is too big a "yes", otherwise I
> expect it would've already been implemented).
I agree that we should have a better memory aproach when running in CLI
environment. I work with PHP since 2000 and I currently have a CLI indexing
script that can eat 1Gb of memory (about 1Mb every minute) easily. IMO, for
the sucess of the CLI environment, we should have a function call that
*really* frees the memory allocated so it never gets to the GC (it's never
executed anyway in the process).

My company is huge (240000 employees and 50000 temporaries/year) and I'm
advocating PHP as a multiple purpose language(not only a web page scripting
language) despite what our Java advocating group say. Someone may point out
that PHP may not be the correct tool for the job, but I really think we
should have one tool that can handle most of our problems. If there is no
other way left, and I have to make scripts in Java, Python, Perl, C++, etc
please tell me before they know about it (so I have time to give it up: I
really don't want to).

Cristiano Duarte