Why so complex? Because I have no clue what I am doing, but why let a little
thing like that stop me.

Thanks for the suggestion, I had to modify it a bit to properly climb the
constructor chain though. You cant grab the ce of the active object since it
may have multiple parents up the chain. The ce has to be the class_entry of
the executing function.

void pow_call_parent_constructor(zval *object TSRMLS_DC)
{
    zend_class_entry *ce = get_active_class_entry(TSRMLS_C);
    zend_function *ctor = ce->parent ? ce->parent->constructor : NULL;

    if (ctor) {
        zend_call_method_with_0_params(&object, ce, &ctor,
ZEND_CONSTRUCTOR_FUNC_NAME, NULL);
    }
}

My C-level class structure is something like:

ZObject
    ZValueType
        ZString
        ZInt

With this function, when you do $str = new ZString(); it will make sure that
the constructor chain (ZString::__construct -> ZValueType::__construct ->
ZObject::__construct) is followed, hence having to be the executing class
scope rather then the object class scope.

Many thanks for your help Marcus.

Bob