Right, so bottom line, MD5 is showing signs of fatigue.  Not "broken" or
even significantly weak when used properly, but she's in the twlight years
and it's time to send ma to the old folks home for some rest and green
jello.

SHA1 isn't quite the matriach yet, but despite having miles to go before she
sleeps, it is prudent to bring along the next generation so they can pay the
medical bills when a bout of breast cancer stikes her out of the blue.

Where the hell was I? Oh yeah... +1 on tossin' in sha256() and
sha256_file().

As for sha384 and sha512, I've got two reservations about making them core
functions:
(1) Illusion of security.  The advantage of 384 or 512 bits over 256 is
(based on current computing resources) negligible.  I'd hate to have people
going sha512 over sha256 simply because they think it'll make their app
"impossible to craxx0r!"
(2) Speed.  This is tied into #1 since those same people going sha512()
because they think it's "better" are, in all liklihood, working on 32bit
procs which are fundamentally slower at handling sha384/sha512 which use
64bit registers internally.

Of course, these reservations are just about dulling down the scissor edges
for little Sammy Scripter who doesn't know any better. If I'm going to avoid
being hypocritcal then I have to toss out those arguments at the end of the
day and say I'm +0 on 'em.  That is, if there's a strong push to include
them, I'll dig out my 384/512 implementations (which are straight math, no
library deps) and toss 'em in with Steffan's sha256(), but only for PHP 6.0
(or PHP 5.1.1 if the RM feels that's appropriate).

-Sara