Hi,

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 16:23:05 -0800
Andi Gutmans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Yep, completely right. We came to the conclusion a long time ago that
> safe_mode isn't safe, and keeping it around is just going to continue
> giving people a false sense of security (and PHP a bad name).

I don't think anybody disagrees about this. I'm just curious about
documenting some recommendations.

I believe the problem about safe_mode is the name and the "magic" it
applies. "enable_dl" enables or disables dl(). "upload_tmp_dir"
specifies the tmp dir. "open_basedir" sets basedir restriction. All
these settings are clear about their purposes and impact. But "safe_mode"
does... something not obviously clear.

If (and only if) the approach of disabling exec functions is recommended
one could have a setting for this. "disable_exec_functions" might be a
setting that is clear about its purpose and impact.

--
- Peter Brodersen