Jessie Hernandez wrote:

Majority asking for namespaces != majority of php users.

How do you know? Have you conducted a poll?

Ok,fair enough, I haven't - but neither have you.

Until there's any degree of certainty as to how many users this impacts upon I don't think you can say that one way is better.

Speaking personally, I prefer the : syntax to \, and the whitespace issue wouldn't impact me anyway - but it's not just about the people on this list, is it? we've seen that just now with the date stuff.