It seems to me that the only usable method of "ring fencing" core classes for the long term is to use namespaces. However, the namespaces feature is a fairly large one and obviously will not be in 5.1. We can discuss its inclusion in 5.2, should it happen to come out, or in PHP 6, but we need to get out 5.1.1 _now_.

- Andrei