I have some questions about the Apache 2 SAPI. We had been using apache_child_terminate to control memory usage with Apache 1.3. This function is not available with the Apache 2 SAPI. Is this function just not offered in the Apache 2 API? If it is offered and there is some gotcha or simply work to be done, I would be happy to roll up my sleeves, dust off my C hat and submit a patch. I just need a push in the right direction. I can't really find an Apache 2 SAPI API reference anywhere.

Because we can not use this function, we decided to try out the worker MPM to help our memory woes. So far, we have had great success with it. Our limited extension list appears to have no problems. The memory usage on our web servers is down about 15% now.

However, this meant we can not use APC. Are there plans to make APC work with ZTS? I know APC is not developed by the PHP group, but I also know Rasmus is involved and I hoped this would find him the easiest.

Speaking of those memory woes, I know there is a lot of confusion about that problem with PHP. Can one of the core guys explain why the PHP memory manager can't give the memory back like a simple emalloc can? Is there some big gain in performance we are getting because of this? If there is a previous post on this list or elsewhere, feel free to point me to it.

Thanks,

--
Brian Moon
dealnews.com