> > > Is this the right book as it has a publish date of March 2005.
> >
> > Extending and Embedding PHP (Paperback)
> > by Sara Golemon
> >
> > * Paperback: 448 pages
> > * Publisher: Sams (May 24, 2006)
> > * Language: English
> > * ISBN: 067232704X
> >
>   it's pretty strange. at amazon.com the book is listed with author
pollita,
> but on the cover Wez and George are mentioned. Go figure.. :)

Originally George and Wez were going to be writing this book (and may yet do
their own version -- that's up to them).  Due to innocuous reasons that I
can probably talk about but won't to be on the safe side, I wound up taking
over the project (and the ISBN number along with it).  www.amazon.com has
the updated metadata, some (most?) other pre-sellers don't.

Bottom line.  If you order that ISBN numbered book, you'll get mine.  The
tricks of using php_request_startup()/php_request_shutdown() aren't covered
(the embedding section focuses on some of the simpler uses of sapi/embed,
the title would be way too long if I covered everything you could do in
every part of the interpreter).

The short answer is: call php_request_shutdown(NULL); to kill the active
interpreter (one is started implicitly by PHP_EMBED_START_BLOCK(), then
php_request_startup(TSRMLS_C); to initialize a new one (the last one active
at PHP_EMBED_END_BLOCK() will be impliticly shutdown).

> > I have placed an order for this book, I guess I should try and finish
> > reading the other 4 php books I purchased recently before then :-)

Nah, reading is overrated, just so long as you buy it ;)

-Sara