On 17.5.2006 1:26 Uhr, Ilia Alshanetsky wrote:
> There are 2 PHP 5.2 changes there has been a lot of back and forth
> flaming going around and we need to finally come to a decision about.
>
> The two topics are:
>
> Inclusion of E_STRICT and E_RECOVERABLE_ERROR into E_ALL

-1, especially for including E_STRICT.

> Addition of support for dynamic statics ala: class foo {} foo::$bar = 1;

Don't care that much, but looks like there are technical reasons for
better not doing that, so -1 here too.

chregu

> So please throw in your +1/-1 so, that we can have a conclusion on these
> matters.
>
> Personally, I am against both changes.
>
> I think the error reporting level change is too major change for a minor
> release such as 5.2 and will cause problems for all the people who use
> things like E_ALL &~ E_NOTICE and will now
> see E_STRICT messages that is not their intent to see, with the setting
> they are only anticipating warnings and errors. Given that most people
> don't bother to turn of displaying of errors, it could have an affect on
> quite a few applications, very few big PHP apps can run without
> generating any E_STRICT messages.
>
> As far as statics, there are no BC reasons not to do it that I can think
> of, but it just seems wrong to me from a design perspective to allow
> dynamic creation of static object properties.
>
> Ilia Alshanetsky
> Advanced Internet Designs Inc.
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> P.S. Please stay on topic.
>
> --PHP Internals - PHP Runtime Development Mailing List

christian stocker | Bitflux GmbH | schoeneggstrasse 5 | ch-8004 zurich
phone +41 44 240 56 70 | mobile +41 76 561 88 60 | fax +41 1 240 56 71
http://www.bitflux.ch | [EMAIL PROTECTED] |  GPG 0x5CE1DECB