Hi,

PEAR is currently in the process of deciding from when on we want to mandate PHP5 as the target platform. Currently it looks like sometime in the next 3-6 months we will likely only accept PHP5 only packages.

We are also pondering how to best approach E_STRICT. It is not feasible for us to try to provide multiple packages per major version in order to keep up with new E_STRICT notices that might require features not yet available in previous versions.

Obviously one solution would be to disallow making anything an E_STRICT notice that is not available since the first release of the given major version. However I think that would defeat the purpose of E_STRICT.

Another solution would be to provide an easy way to filter out E_STRICT messages based on the version they have been introduced. This would enable a package developer to say "I want to be E_STRICT compatible upto PHP 5.1.4". Which would mean that he could filter out any E_STRICT notices that may for example get introduced in PHP 5.2.

Usually we slowly increase the lowest supported PHP version of packages in order to keep the code clean and fast, without pushing our users into a corner. So as the lowest supported PHP version increases, the filtering could be adapted.

Adding such a filter API into PHP internals however seems like a considerably effort. Therefore my proposal would be to simply add a defined "header" to all E_STRICT messages that contains the PHP version in which this E_STRICT message was added. This way PEAR could provide its developer with a simple filter method that would take an error message inside a customer error handler and determine if it should be filtered out or not.

What do you guys think?

regards,
Lukas