Lukas Smith wrote:

Ok I see 2 options:

1)
Obviously one solution would be to disallow making anything an E_STRICT notice that is not available since the first release of the given major version.

Pierre and Anthony seem to favor this solution.

2)
Adding such a filter API into PHP internals however seems like a considerably effort. Therefore my proposal would be to simply add a defined "header" to all E_STRICT messages that contains the PHP version in which this E_STRICT message was added. This way PEAR could provide its developer with a simple filter method that would take an error message inside a customer error handler and determine if it should be filtered out or not.

From IRC discussions and the PEAR ML I think Michael and Marcus favor this solution. I also prefer this solution.

regards,
Lukas