register_long_arrays = Off
register_argc_argv = Off
auto_globals_jit = On
The following PHP code prints nothing:

<?php
$webroot = $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'];
$server = $_SERVER["HOST"];
$file = $_SERVER["SCRIPT_FILENAME"];
$transport = $_SERVER["REQUEST_TRANSPORT"];
$port = $_SERVER["SERVER_PORT"];
print "$webroot";
print "$server";
print "$transport";
?>

The rest of the php.ini is like php.ini-recommended that comes with the
source. Any idea what might be the problem?

You never answered my question from php-general. Are you running APC, if so, which version? Which version of PHP are you running? Chances are an upgrade of either or both will fix this.

We have seen a similar problem with Zend Platform (2.2.0) and PHP 5.1.4. On the first request everything is fine, but on a refresh all the superglobals are empty. Turning off auto_globals_jit fixes it, as does disabling the Zend Platform. Dunno if that helps you or not.

-Stut