Seems like I missed that whole thread.
I don't quite understand what we have to gain from dissallowing overriding
static methods and/or abstract static methods. It's not really in the PHP
spirit.
Making it E_STRICT doesn't solve the situation because it will tell people
it's not an ok thing to do, and I'm not quite sure that's what we want.
Can we revert to 5.1 status quo and get 5.2 shipped and discuss this?
Shipping it like this and then reverting later will just create a huge
headache and will confuse our user-base.

Btw, I don't quite understand why it doesn't make sense? Maybe people are
not used to it from other OO langauges but the "no sense" argument isn't
very convincing. I actually see it as a way to enforce a contract or
structure. Some might not agree with it but I don't see how it violates any
rules of the universe...
Andi