Well, it looks like the overall consensus is that we add this restriction, so let's add in it. It seems I am the only one somewhat against it...

On 5-Nov-06, at 10:19 PM, Stanislav Malyshev wrote:

I guess it is a question of frequency, as a rule a valid use of require/include on a URL is quite unusual. From my experience, I do not believe the same could be said about smb.

How many apps really need to import includes from foreighn systems which aren't mounted as drive letters? I don't think anybody does (or should) build an applications like that.

This is a valid point, but at the same time we need to consider the consequences marking of smb:// as url will have on PHP applications and weather this is something to be done in a patch level release.

Sure, we need to consider that - I think that's exactly what we are doing now :) My assessment would be people usually don't do that purposefully, but you and everybody on the list are welcome to give examples to the contrary of course.

Exploitation wise all of the hacks I've seen for remote code execution were based on http as that provides the best degree of anonymity for a

SMB can be as anonymous as HTTP. The reason why HTTP is used more because you can easily buy HTTP hosting solution and SMB hosting would probably cost more, and because HTTP is much more known and easy to set up right to the script kiddies of all kinds. But once people figure out something can be hacked through SMB means, they would write a script to do it and script kiddies would do it as easily as anything. Once writing an exploit was are that few could master, now there are ready-made rootkits for any vulerability out there for anybody to use.

Use of SMB requires a more tricky infrastructure in a form of an open smb share, usually meaning an exploited win32 box that accepts incoming smb connections.

"Pwned" windows boxes are not unheard of, to say the least. :) And any unix can do smb as good as windows, thanks to samba team ;)

A firewall rule can be used to block outgoing smb connections quite easily on both linux and windows.

Yes, sure - though standard config does not block that AFAIK and the whole point of allow_url_include is to protect such configs as far as I understand.

--
Stanislav Malyshev, Zend Products Engineer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.zend.com/

Ilia Alshanetsky