Stanislav Malyshev wrote:

>> Please, lets keep 5.x code in 5.x and 6.x code in 6.x, different
>> branches exist for a good reason.
>
> Well, then I guess we shouldn't have (binary) in 5.x?

A lot of functions in PHP 6 are able to take both binary and Unicode
strings and act differently when they are passed different types.  I
think this is going to be the biggest source of confusion for people
migrating to PHP 6 and as such I think it is a good idea to get this
cast in as soon as possible to people can start to make their code PHP 6
safe.

I am hoping that a typical PHP 5 application will only need a couple of
binary casts to run perfectly under PHP 6 in Unicode mode.  Allowing
that same code to run unchanged in PHP 5 makes a lot of sense.

-Rasmus