Hi Pierre,

On Jan 10, 2007, at 5:27 PM, Pierre wrote:
Andrei, can you _please_ cool down and consider the full history? The
discussions began right before christmast time (12/18). We settled a
decision one day before season holidays.

I beg to differ, the discussions finished on 12/18.

his piece is crucial for PHP6 just like PDO and a couple of other
things (Are you going to send a mail like that for Wez and everyone
who does not bring a patch in time for you or am I the only who
deserves such thing?).

If you ask Wez and Marcus, they'll tell you I've been bugging them about the progress on PDO and SPL as well. However, these two extensions are not an integral part of PHP like the request decoding is, and thus, I can actually make a preview release with PDO and SPL only partially complete.

But is PHP6 the top priority right now? No. And
sorry, I do not consider the preview release (or whatever the name is)
as a "crucial" release either.

Please do not misquote me. I said it was a "crucial piece of functionality" for the release.

I do my best to work on this change during my (free) time, it brings
nothing to push me or to ask me every single day during my holidays,
mail me and expect an answer one day later and start to complain in
all possible channels for my lack of reply.

Pierre, I've been asking you on IRC privately about this for days. You did say you were busy, but when you volunteered to work on this and said that you would deliver this piece of code, you made a commitment. I very much appreciate everyone's contributions and realize that most of us work on PHP in spare time, but just because this is open source, it doesn't mean that there aren't responsibilities. And yes, I will keep pushing and prodding and being annoying in general, because I took on the responsibility of bringing about Unicode support in PHP when I started on it almost 2 years ago and I intend to see it finished. Honestly, and I say this without any vanity or pride, if I wasn't as annoying and persistent, I doubt very much that we'd be where we are now with this whole project. Do you remember a period of about 5 months earlier this year when the development slowed down to a crawl? It's because I was busy with other things and did not dedicate enough attention to this. I very glad we made a lot of progress lately, but I really don't think we should act like we have all the time in the world. Deadlines exist for a reason, even in open source projects, and, I don't know about everyone else, but I am definitely bummed that we missed it, even though it was known months in advance. So, please, just tell me, are you still interested in working on this functionality and on the Unicode project in general? If so, please let us know what the status is and when you intend to deliver the patch. If not, thank you very much for your contributions so far. I hope that your other PHP related pursuits bring you more happiness.

You may start to pushing so much for a preview release. It is counter
productive and does not bring any additional motivation or time.

See above.

Now excuse me, it is 2:19 in the morning, I just spent a hour on a php
bug in a _stable_ and _existing_ branch, I need some rest.

Thank you for working on the bug.

Best,

-Andrei