There seems to be a lot of issues in the build process on Mac OS X, not to mention once you get them squared away the build still doesn't work without editing the makefile and adding '-framework ApplicationServices'

Trying to build on Mac OS X, configuring fails if you build ICU in the manner they instruct for building ICU for Mac OS X.

It always fails at the libxml test (I know why).

config.nice:

#! /bin/sh
#
# Created by configure

CFLAGS='' \
LDFLAGS='' \
'./configure' \
'--prefix=/usr/local/php' \
'--with-icu-dir=/usr/local/icu' \
'--with-libxml-dir=/usr' \
'--with-apxs' \

gets to:

Configuring extensions
checking whether to enable LIBXML support... yes
checking libxml2 install dir... /usr
checking for xml2-config path... /usr/bin/xml2-config
checking whether libxml build works... no
configure: error: build test failed. Please check the config.log for details.