<input type="text" name="foo[]"> generates $_GET['foo'][0..n]
<input type="file" name="foo[]"> generates $_FILES['foo']['tmp_name/name/etc'][0..n]

I think this could pretty much be considered an inconsistence but changing wouldn't possible due to the BC demon awakening and wreaking havoc upon doing so.