Hello,

I am working on a command line client (written in php, run by php-cli) and I'd like to use a password entry as in mysql client - with no echoing etc. I've found the function which I need:

      #include <unistd.h>
      char *getpass( const char * prompt );

But in man getpass it is marked as "This function is obsolete. Do not use it.". More from the manpage: "Present in SUSv2, but marked LEGACY. Removed in POSIX.1-2001."

Can this function be somehow included in next release of PHP, at least in coditional way so I can check its availability with function_exists? (a). Or I should patch my instance of PHP (b) or stick forever to a small binary written in C which then I call with backtick operator (c).

  What you recommend, developers of PHP ?

regards,

Daniel Rozsnyo