On 3/21/07, Antony Dovgal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 03/21/2007 10:47 AM, Tijnema ! wrote:
> On 3/21/07, Richard Lynch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> I splice the ID3 tags onto the front of an MP3 stream in PHP on this
>> site:
>>
>> http://uncommonground.com/
>>
>> The id3 library in PHP is quite good at this, but needs a maintainer...
>>

> Well, it is a start, now only processing work needs to be done :)
> To convert from MP3 to Wave for example, I think this will require the
> LAME lib, and to use with OGG, it will require the OGGvorbis lib. But
> about WMA, I never saw a Linux lib for it. So that would require
> creating a new lib for WMA, or directly implementing it into the PHP
> source. So the MP3 and OGG support shouldn't bee too hard to
> implement, but other file formats might be harder. And now I'm only
> talking about Audio, my first idea was to implement Video
> (Audio+Video). Video is even more advanced, then we should work with
> DivX and XviD codecs. (Thank god, they are Open Source). But having
> this support for video, it would be possible to easily create a site
> like youtube, where they even have a "screenshot" of the movie, which
> is actually just a frame in the middle of the file. And of course it
> would be possible to resize the video files.

I don't think anybody sane is doing audio encoding and video resizing in PHP.
PHP is about interface, clients are not going to wait an hour or two for a page
to load.

Like i said, video resizing might be useful for sites like youtube.
And what i'm trying to do with audio is more extending the limits of
PHP. Ever wanted to become a web DJ?

There is a bunch of mature opensource utilities (transcoder, lame, oggenc etc.)
and you
can always use them to convert WAV to MP3 and AVI to OGG, it's just a matter of
implementation.
What about WMA? do you know a library/encoder dat does convert from/to WMA?

That said, I would be glad to see a PECL extension able to read video files and
grab screenshots
(that seems to be quite common requirement).
The ffmpeg extension is GPLed, which is a no-no for PECL.

Well, video files are just a set of frames, so if a PECL extension is
able to read video files, they already need to be decoded, and so, all
work is done already, it shoudl be very easy to also create other
formats then.

Re sound files, we already do have something:
http://cvs.php.net/viewvc.cgi/pecl/sndfile/
It just wasn't released.

Ah, never checked the CVS for items. I will take a look at this PECL
extension, and see what's done already :)

Tijnema

--
Wbr,
Antony Dovgal