Hi Lukas,
Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Going over the todo list I wanted to bring up a few topics once again
> for review/discussion (not flaming):
> http://oss.backendmedia.com/PhP60
>
> # Unicode
>
>    3. remove old parameter parsing API and replace with one that
> supports unicode related functionality
>
> I just want to remind that when we made some changes to the parameter
> parsing API's last time it created some BC issues (like with
> array_merge() ..)
>
>    5. add unicode to pdo (wez)
>
> Maybe one place where IBM could step up, seeing that they are putting a
> lot of resources into their PDO drivers.
>
> # cleanups
>
>    4. safe_mode/open_basedir
>          1. remove safe mode and throw E_CORE_ERROR when set
>          2. unbundle safe_mode_exec_dir from safe_mode and keep it
> (rasmus) (take a look at this patch too)
>          3. new ini option: open_basedir_for_include which would allow
> using include/require(_once) on an expanded set of directories (sara)
>
> Whats the state here. I remember that there was still a fair bit of back
> and forth on this point.
>
>    9. remove zend.ze1_compatibility mode and throw E_CORE_ERROR when set
> DONE (dmitry)
>
> Same here. Gone for good?
>
> # PECL
>
>    3. regexp
>          1. make ereg an extension
>          2. PCRE extension will not be allowed to be disabled.
>          3. core of PHP should be made to work with PCRE so that we can
> safely disable ereg
>          4. unbundle the regex library
>
> We had a short discussion on this one not too long ago.
>
>    5. move mime_magic from the core to PECL
>    6. fileinfo
>          1. move the Fileinfo extension to the core, and enable it by
> default.
>          2. Fileinfo extension should be updated to only load its
> database once on MINIT.
>
> Didn't we fast track these two to 5.x?
>
>    7. ext/soap
>          1. ext/soap will be turned on by default
>          2. implement some of the security extensions to ext/soap
>          3. watch axis2 based implementation development
>
> I am guessing the security stuff could take a bit to implement. Does
> anyone feel "responsible" for this item?
>
> Engine additions
>
>    2. add a new 64bit integer that is always 64bits regardless of
> platform with the cast name for this new type is (int64) and internally
> we use IS_INT64 and RETURN_INT64 etc..
>
> Are we still on track with this one?
>
>    4. add an ifsetor() construct with the middle value for the ?:
> ternary operator dropped
>
> Kinda scared to mention this one. Me want very much though :)
>
>    6. speed up @-operator and ask andi for approval (ilia, marcus)
>    7. add ability to allocate persistent zvals in PHP.

This is more like - ask ZE not to clean what it points to when it is
cleaning up the zval, and of course not to allow userland to change it.
I needed a similar thing in mysqlnd and went the route of implementing
it on extension level - doing magic with reference counting. Doing this
means that when the user tries to change the internal buffer pointed by
the zval she performs copy-on-write.
Having ZE support for this will be nice!

Andrey