I feel I can't disagree with my hero. :) But is that really so?

The XML spec says:

PI ::= '<?' PITarget (S (Char* - (Char* '?>' Char*)))? '?>'

Doesn't Char* mean any char?

All the parsers seem to accept '>' inside PI's without problems too.

Furthermore... PHP may not be the most beautiful of languages... But that doesn't mean it has to be ugly...

-Bart

Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
PHP was never meant to win any beauty contests, nor to enforce
standards.  If you want to take your argument to its logical conclusion
then you have to also take the next step and not allow literal entities
inside the PHP blocks, because that is also not standards compliant.
That means you cannot write:

  <?php if($a > 10) foo() ?>

You would have to change it to:

  <?php if($a &gt; 10) foo() ?>

And that's just a simple example of that.

-Rasmus

Bart de Boer wrote:
And let me stress that this is something we're *forcing* people to do
when they're on a short tags enabled server... It's not something
they're allowed to do at free will... PHP's convention is currently
responsible for people creating non-standards-compliant documents... And
I think we should take that responsibility and clean up the mess we
made... The XML spec is outside our scope... What's inside <?php tags is
our business...