On Sat, April 14, 2007 4:49 am, Bart de Boer wrote:

> And let me stress that this is something we're *forcing* people to do
> when they're on a short tags enabled server... It's not something
> they're allowed to do at free will... PHP's convention is currently
> responsible for people creating non-standards-compliant documents...
> And
> I think we should take that responsibility and clean up the mess we
> made... The XML spec is outside our scope... What's inside <?php tags
> is
> our business...

"PHP's convention is currently responsible for people creating
non-standards-compliant documents..."

What are you smoking? :-)

Having short tags on doesn't force people to create
non-standards-compliant documents.

People not bothering to follow standards aren't suddenly going to
follow them just because short tags is no longer available.

It doesn't even need to look as ugly as posted here if you just use
single quotes.

>> <?="<?xml version=\"1.0\" encoding=\"UTF-8\" ?>\n"; ?>

<?='<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF_8" ?>', "\n" ?>

[shrug]

Whatever.

I'll miss the <?= personally, as it was quite handy for interspersed
mini-calculations not easily wedged into heredocs without a log of
extra lines of code assigning to one-use variables...

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?