phar is a good way of deploying PHP code, as PEAR proves. As a cautious
developer however, I am reluctant to using optional features that might
not be available on my client's installation. And for regular users of
PHP-based software, installing a PECL extension is not an option. If I
cannot be sure that phar works on my client's system, I cannot use it to
deploy software.

Uploading a phar file, then pointing your browser to it and running a
PHP-based self-extracting installer similar to the Windows installers we
know would make installing PHP software way more end-user-compatible.

IMHO phar should be part of the PHP code, so that developers can rely on
it as a means of PHP software deployment that certainly works on all
systems, rather than another option.

Kind regards,

Stefan

--
 >e-novative> - We make IT work for you.

 e-novative GmbH - HR: Amtsgericht München HRB 139407
 Sitz: Wolfratshausen - GF: Dipl. Inform. Stefan Priebsch

 http://www.e-novative.de