On 23/05/07, Johannes Schlüter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Rangel,

for PHP 6 the basic string type ist "unicode string" and most functions
will accept these as primary type. But there are a few exceptions where
unicode, for different reason, makes no sense. There you have to pass a
binary string - an example is the mentioned urlencode(): It has to work
on bytes to be reliable but it has no clue on the proper encoding so you
need to tell that function "Yes the, I know about the meaning, just take
this byte sequence".

A good thing would be to check the archives where most reasons were
posted before.

johannes

For us users who have the luxury of not needing to deal with unicode,
I expect that there is a steep learning curve in :

1 - Understanding why we need it.
2 - How we use it.
3 - Where does it all go wrong.
4 - How do we fix it when it does.

In truth, if it all "just worked", there would be no problem. But
nothing ever "just works". As someone who has been very happy with my
ASCII character set, this whole thing seems extremely complicated and
the potential for abuse, horrendous. I hope this is just FUD.

It seems a LOT of effort has gone into unicode and it does seem that a
lot of changes have had to be made. I'm all for improving and adhering
to standards and even though I'm on the extreme fringe here, I believe
adding Unicode is a good thing for PHP. But it will be needing a LOT
of good quality documentation about this to help ISPs and Users.

Its all well and good for a chosen few to understand the n'th degree
of unicode, but a lot of the rest of us are in the dark on this.

--
-----
Richard Quadling