>>> I have already said to Stefan. It is not an option. I need backwards
>>> compatibility. If older PHP versions fail with E_PARSE errors, I
>>> can't use
>>> it.
>>
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ php -r 'echo strlen(b"\xC4\x85"), "\n";'
>> 2
>>
>> works fine here... (with php 5.2)
>
> One data point:
>
> I use squirrelMail all day, every day, on a webhost that still runs 4.4.1
>
> However wrong that may be, it is the Reality Tomas has to deal with.
>
> If it won't work in the zillion PHP 4 environments he is stuck
> supporting, then he can't use it.
>
> Get the world to update to 5.2, and all is good...
>
> That seems unlikely to happen in the immediate future, afaics, no
> matter how much we might wish it did.

I have 72 reasons for that. It is personal. I can be very persistent, if I
make decision, think that it is right and somebody tries to force me into
changing this decision.

There are fixes that make SquirrelMail's PHP based sorting functions work
in PHP 4.4.1. There are patches that indirectly fix broken
mb_encode_mimeheader() function. If you want to make SquirrelMail work in
PHP 4.4.1, try pushing patches into SquirrelMail. Person that opposed PHP
4.4.1 fixes is no longer part of SquirrelMail team.

I am former SquirrelMail developer and in my SquirrelMail fork
requirements I specifically state that PHP 4.4.1 is not supported.
SquirrelMail code is not broken. Array functions are used according to the
manual. Fix your PHP setup and SquirrelMail will work.

--
Tomas