I found my problem as well. I am running apache2 prefork, but the headers for apache2-mpm ware installed instead. I guess Ubuntu messed up with the distro update.

Thanks for all your help,
Arnold

Tijnema wrote:
Ok, I think I found the problem, as Oliver pointed me on something in
the thread titled "virtual_file_ex/filetype".
When PHP is build with --enable-maintainer-zts mode, then this lstat,
and some others too, is broken.
I have build 2 PHP installations(PHP-5.2.3RC1), Both with the same
configuration options, except that I build the first without
--enable-maintainer-zts, and the second one with.
The first one does execute the code as expected, while the second code
doesn't. It returns the same for all filesystems that were actually
allowing symlinks, no matter which options used:
file
not a link
same

So, thank Oliver!