As a fellow busy person, I completely understand this situation.

I also recognize that we need to find a way to guarantee that patches
don't slip through the cracks and don't get lost.

I think we could do with investing a little bit of time into finding a
way to automatically review commits to see if they have been merged to
all relevant branches.   For this to be viable, we should probably
adopt the practice of explicitly referencing a bug number in all
commits (could be enforced by the commit hook); we can then analyze
the commit messages to make sure that commits referencing a particular
bug number have a corresponding set of commits in the branches, and
vice versa.

Once we have that data, we could have job that periodically (daily)
reviews the activity per bug report and sends an email reminder about
reports that have missing merge activity for longer than a week.

--Wez.

PS: We could also consider posting links to commit URLs to the
associated bug report; this is a feature I really value in our
subversion/trac repositories at OmniTI.

On 5/26/07, Ilia Alshanetsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 26-May-07, at 6:51 AM, Edin Kadribasic wrote:

> Ilia, I would really like to know why you are not merging patches
> to head?

Unfortunately I don't have as much time to spend on PHP as I'd like
and I focus my attention on the aspects of PHP I use and can tests
using the dev environments I have. I do not have a ready PHP6
environment and do not have time to test thing with php6 code, with
which I do not have as much familiarity. Rather then making commits
that may break the builds or spending hours resolving conflicts I
focus my attention on PHP5 where fixes and improvements have tangible
benefits to users.

That said the commits are all public and if someone who is more
familiar with php6 code then I can merge them, it would be great.

Ilia Alshanetsky