> Could the garabage collector be started / stopped during script
> executing from a userland function? zend_gc_enable/disable() in
> addition
> to an ini option to enable it at script startup?

Yes, that functionality can be added fairly easily. Some GC code will still
have to be executed (such as the if branches that currently check whether
the GC is enabled or not :-)) but performance may increase slightly (since
there will no longer be a function call for the GC to note down possible
cycles it detects). However, a drastic performance increase will probably
not be seen. It's very unlikely for the main garbage collection cycle to be
run if there are no cycles present. (I can go into some technical details if
you'd like).

David