On Mon, 2007-07-16 at 15:22 +0100, Nuno Lopes wrote:
> PCRE has a POSIX API, so it is possible to use PCRE as a drop-in replacement
> for the engine behind ereg(). What I don't know is how compatible it is with
> the current engine. But I think it worth investigating.

Worked fine when I tested it. But it's quite pointless, it's still not
unicode friendly. It's just better to use system POSIX regex funcs if
ext/ereg/ is to stay..which is stupid since all functions it provides
can be easily replaced with unicode friendly preg_* funcs. Nobody should
use ereg_*() for anything if they want to use unicode. If they don't
need unicode, they don't need PHP 6 either.

> P.S.: this POSIX PCRE layer isn't currently bundled with PHP, because it
> wasn't needed so far.

It is bundled, just isn't compiled, see above.. :)

--Jani