Derick Rethans wrote:
On Wed, 1 Aug 2007, Andi Gutmans wrote:

This is not really a fix. When we worked on PHP 5 we deliberately decided to relax on all the weird dynamic constructs which didn't provide a lot of value for the majority of use-cases. Of course the Reflection API was going to be the way to do these dynamic things in future. It would also simplify the engine's code. The reason why those first constructs work were for BC reasons. We didn't want to break existing code but wanted to not add on top of this.

While it may feel inconsistent I still prefer the existing path. Maybe for PHP 6 we can even make an E_STRICT message for the old way which refers you to the Reflection API?

I think that'd be a bad idea. I don't see a problem with this patch at all, and why should people use reflection here? As you're always so much for BC, I find it strange that you're suggesting to remove something totally harmless and instead want people to force to use the slow Reflection API which is meant for introspection...

I agree its harmless and easy to learn. Moreover I do not see the benefit of using the Reflection API instead.

@Andi: Could you explain to us why you think that this sort of thing should best be done through the Reflection API?

regards,
Lukas