Stanislav wrote me a very useful reply to my CV questions. I wonder if
anyone has time to give me a quick note on backpatching, and what that
is?

I think backpatching refers to updating past opcodes (i.e. opcodes for code that was already parsed) when they need something that would be known only in the future. E.g., if you have if/else statement, then when if condition is false you need to jump to else, but else was not parsed yet - so when we parse if, we create opcode, but then update it when we parse else so that it jumps to the right place. Also backpatching is used to compose variable expressions - like $foo[$bar]->x->$y->z.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.zend.com/
(408)253-8829   MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]