On 10.11.2007, at 22:34, Gaetano Giunta wrote:

plus a 3 numbered version is very easy to assign to a lib (you know, like a new param for a function bumps up the middle number, a fix - any fix - bumps up the rightmost one etc... )

That is what $Revision$ CVS tag does, version number is totally different thing IMO.

Sorry, but I disagree on this one. You might either think that an extension "version" defines either its api as accessible by the php kernel or as accessible by the php coder, but that's exactly what version numbers are used for. The cvs tag is for people that compile from source and have to report an error against a a specific version.

I really think that PECL <-> Core relations and generally extension versioning should be very high up on our agenda. Ideally someone like you Tony, who actively maintains an extension both in PECL and core, would write up a proposal (I can do the wording if you provide me with the necessary content). This way we would have a discussion basis. Alternatively/in parallel maybe the people meeting in Paris could sit down and talk this item over a bit?!?

regards,
Lukas