Pierre Joye schreef:
Hi Jochen,

On Feb 12, 2008 12:22 PM, Jochem Maas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Sebastian Bergmann schreef:
Jochem Maas schrieb:
Output:
C:\
Is this intended?
Yes, or what would you expect?
possibly 'C:' ?
 Is "C:" not the volume whereas "C:\" is the root directory on the
 volume?
this is what I thought, kind of, but I was just proposing what the OP
was expecting.

the OP?

it does make one think a little about the small discrepancy with regard to
whether the slash is 'appended' or not depending on whether the dir is
the root or not:

php -r ' echo dirname("/Users"),"\n", dirname("/Users/foo"),"\n"; '

/
/Users

You ask the directory name of a path. In the first case, you ask the
directory name of the path /Users (or /Users/), it is "/". The
directory name of the path "/Users/foo" is "/Users". Everything works
as expected as far as I can see.

I agree, I was merely pondering out loud, no problems as such.

which means one cannot blindly say:

include __DIR__."/somefile";

Little notice: OSes without volumes will work smoothly. For those with
volumes (windows, novell afair) willl use the current volume.

although that's probably moot because my experience is that extraneous slashes
in a path are, afaik, always ignored. i.e. /foo//foo//foo == /foo/foo/foo,
so really there is nothing to see here.

Yes, PHP is very tolerant (and brought us some headaches too in the
pasts :). It is also tolerant with \ or / usages.

I can imagine it has caused headaches for dev's working with the underlying
implementation ..
I for one am grateful it's so tolerant ... more than once have I noticed some
badly defined
paths working without a problem, months after the code was originally written.

3 cheers for tolerance :-)

Cheers,