Hi Greg,

what benefit is there in adding complexity of remembering the Phar::GZ constant over setCompressedGZ()? We have to think hard about changes like this.

We did think hard about them. In fact I thought you'd implemented compress(Phar::GZ) to replace the long-named one now :) Need to go play I guess.

3) I would like to suggest these changes, and these alone:

* simplify all compression methods, with more consistency of naming that clearly differentiates between compressing files within an archive, and compressing the entire archive. This abstract idea is more important to me than the specific naming, but it should be very easy to do.

Yep.

* add a zip-style API for adding files/directories, addFile, addEmptyDir, addFileFromString with the exact method names

OK...

 * add buildFromDirectory()

Cool...

* any further suggestions have off-list vetting with the maintainers of phar for technical issues prior to publicly posting them, so we can truly work together and present a more polished API suggestion to those interested in phar on the first try without confusing them. I am *NOT* proposing we take discussion to private, only that technical issues be worked out offlist prior to presenting an idea.

Thank you for your patience, I know I am a bit of a hard-ass at times, but I am genuinely excited about the discussion and creativity that is going into this.

Greg