Back in Jan/Feb of 2007 I raised the issue of including
the pecl fileinfo package into 5.3 and 6.0.

This idea was mostly regarded as a good idea as PHP lacks
any method of checking file types, aside from checking the
file extension.

The lack of checking is, I feel, a major oversite in the package
and whilst others agreed with this, nothing seems to have
become of the idea, short of being added to the TODO list on
http://wiki.php.net/todo/php53

A small mention was made on the Zend devzone blog here also
http://devzone.zend.com/node/view/id/1599#Heading2

The original thread on this list began here back in Feb 2007
after some discussion on irc.
http://marc.info/?l=php-internals&m=117174936026870&w=2

Is it possible we discuss this inclusion?
I understand there is a little work that needs to happen to wrap
the extension up for inclusion.

Kind regards
Kevin