Hi,

Google just announced the final assignments for their Summer of Code
program for this year.
On behalf of the PHP project I'd like to welcome our students and give
you some general information about the project.

The following projects have been accepted for the PHP project:

  Zend LLVM Extension
    by Joonas Govenius, mentored by Nuno Lopes
  PHP Optimizer
    by Samuel Graham Kelly IV, mentored by Derick Rethans
  PhD Improvements and Updates
    by Nicholas Sloan, mentored by Hannes Magnusson
  Replace auto* with CMake
    by Alejandro Leiva Rojas, mentored by Pierre A. Joye
  gsoc:2008 - XDebug
    by Chung-Yang Lee, mentored by David Coallier
  Rewrite the run-tests.php script
    by Cesar Montedonico, mentored by Travis Swicegood
  PHP Bindings for Cairo
    by Akshat Gupta, mentored by Anant Narayanan
  Algorithm Optimizations
    by Michal Dziemianko, mentored by Scott MacVicar
  PECL, Website Improvements
    by Barry Carlyon, mentored by Helgi Þormar Þorbjörnsson
  Implement Unicode into PHP 6
    by Henrique do Nascimento Angelo, mentored by Scott MacVicar

See http://code.google.com/soc/2008/php/about.html for details about
these projects.

Important Mailing lists:
   php.net mailing lists are open discussion lists which can be
   subscribed by anyone and collected in public archives. Main language
   is English, as most people on these lists aren't native speakers
   don't be ashamed of writing "bad English" - I guess there are
   mistakes in this mail, too.
   For subscribing send an empty mail to the mentioned address and
   follow the instructions given in an automatic response.
   The complete rules can be found on

   internals   This list is For everybody working on the PHP core or
               it's  run-time, all decisions about PHP's core should be
               made there  the list is also open for questions about PHP
               internals. Please mind that this list is, most likely,
               the most read one of these I mention here so please think
               before spaming it ;-)
               address: internals@lists.php.net
               subscription: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   pecl-dev    This list is for discussions about extensions for PHP or
               the PECL website.
               address: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
               subscription: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   doc         Everything related to documentation, talking about the
               documentation build system (PhD) and documenting new
               features.
               address: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
               subscription: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

   Depending on your project there might be other lists, please talk to
   your mentor for getting details.

General rules on mailing lists:
   When writing to a mailing list please mind that you're writing to a
   whole bunch of people from different cultures with different
   background so try to be polite and clear about what you are saying -
   and don't feel insulted if you get "impolite" answers - we're all
   humans and make mistakes! When answering to mails please avoid top
   posting but cite the parts you're responding to and answer below
   them. See http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
   When starting a new thread please don't response to another mail but
   start a new mail, else it will be sorted to the wrong place with mail
   clients. Please write plain text mails, not HTML mails.
   The php.net mailing lists don't set the "Reply-To" Header (on
   purpose) please remember to use your mail client's "Reply to All"
   button when answering to the list, use "Reply" for sending a private
   reply.

Chats:
   Chats are an important way for communication, it's a place to get
   questions answered fast, at least sometimes. As most PHP developers
   are either from Europe or the states the most traffic in general is
   there from European noon till late evening or during American
   daytime. There are no "official" channels but #php.pecl on EFNet is a
   place with many developers hanging out.  Please mind that IRC is no
   place for decisions. Decisions should, in general, be made on the
   list else you only get responses from people who are randomly around.
   An introduction about IRC can be found on
   http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/irctutorial.html Please ask your
   mentor for further advice for your specific project.

Code management:
   The PHP project uses CVS for tracking it's code. For using php.net's
   CVS server please check http://php.net/anoncvs.php For getting write
   access on a repository you can request an account on
   http://php.net/cvs-php.php - before doing that please check with your
   mentor to define what kind of access you need for your specific
   project.

Coding styles:
    For code written in the C programming language please mind our
    general standards: http://php.net/reST/php-src/CODING_STANDARDS
    Projects written in PHP should follow the PEAR Coding Standards:
    http://pear.php.net/manual/en/standards.php
    And again: Your specific project might have other standards, please
    check with your mentor.

Any questions left? Ask your mentor, use the mentioned communication
tools or if you can't find somebody else you can write to me and I'll to
assist you.

Greetings,
johannes
GSoC Co-Administrator for PHP, Release Manager for PHP 5.3