See below:

Great. Dmitry can help out if needed. He'll be reviewing it anyway.

I understand you are against it but as we discussed on this list a few months
ago we will have to see what reality delivers when people actually start
migrating applications. It's not something we should decide at this point
before we are any smarter. For now we can definitely keep "" as Unicode and
we'll learn how that works during the alpha/beta cycles.
We do owe our users a feasible upgrade path whether it's with automated scripts
or some other way. As we figure that out it'll become more apparent what makes
sense.

Andi