Pierre,

I must be going crazy.  Is there an actual problem that needs solving?
 You're saying that a user who improperly installs php_openssl.dll (i.e.
does not follow instructions and set up ssleay.dll and libeay.dll) should
magically be able to use phar with openssl?  Why?

You are not going crazy, I was asking the same in my very first reply.

Odd, that. I have nothing in my ML archives mentioning this imaginary poor confused user until Greg's post.

The only thing I like to see in config.w32 (and config.m4 too if
possible) is the dependencies definition. As it has no impact at
runtime (as you explained), it can be used at configure and build time
to check than the right extension or libraries are used. Or at least,
to notify the user than running configure with --disable-all
--enable-phar is not enough to give bz2, zlib or ssl support.

I think you're becoming very confused about the distinction between developers and users. Most users running PHP under Windows do *not* build their own copy of PHP. The rest of us don't need PEAR-type config output styling etc, we can read standard configuration output thanks. --disable-all is so rarely used under doze that until I fixed it last week, it hadn't ever worked. In 5 years (more?) there was only one complaint - from Hector, who was trying to roll his own PHP for distribution, which is discouraged. Even nmake clean is reserved for distribution/snapshots builds, and we didn't have an alternative for it in local builds until very recently. There just aren't enough people working on PHP under Windows for these things to have been a real problem. The ones that do, don't build PHP in the way you anticipate here. The people that build PHP like that are *nix users.

PHP/Windows *users* use phpinfo() and php -m to find out what they have on board. phpinfo() explains what is or isn't available in Phar and what is needed to enable it. They don't need more than this. Are you really suggesting that developers need more info than this because they're less able to read than end users are?

Finally, as Greg has already tried to explain, in Phar the dependencies are 100% soft. Building phar alongside bz2 doesn't trigger bz2 functionality, but loading bz2.so does. There's absolutely no association between the configure line and the support offered. The one exception here is the phar-ssl stuff I committed for Windows yesterday, which is fairly likely to disappear altogether once Greg has had time to think it through properly because it doesn't really make sense, given our normal context, to offer built-in functionality in that way.

- Steph